Charlesbridge publishes high-quality books for children and adults, with a goal of creating and supporting lifelong readers and lifelong learners. Our children’s books encourage reading and discovery in the classroom, library, and home, and embrace a child’s innate sense of wonder and fun. Charlesbridge believes that books should offer accurate information, be both compelling and educational, and promote a positive worldview. To this end, we continually strive to seek new voices, new visions, and new directions in both children's and adult literature.
Job Posting: Editorial Assistant
The editorial assistant assists one of the executive editors with fiction, franchise, and Spanish/bilingual titles and another executive editor with nonfiction titles. The assistant will also provide administrative support for the editorial department. This is a full-time, benefited and salaried position that requires some time in the office. Our office is located in Watertown, Massachusetts.
The editorial assistant writes copy, drafts proposals and title information sheets, and does data entry, fact checking, and research in support of two executive editors and their books. The editorial assistant also helps the editorial department by filing CIP data, managing events, and maintaining or improving departmental systems. The goal is for the assistant to coordinate the Spanish/bilingual program after a year. There is room for growth and for the assistant to be promoted and eventually acquire and edit titles of their own.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Assist with reading and evaluating manuscripts; write thoughtful and timely decline and revision letters
- Assist with generating proposals, terms sheets, and P&Ls for prospective projects
- Assist with editing manuscripts, demonstrating excellent writing, grammar, and spelling and displaying a firm knowledge of Charlesbridge house style and Chicago Manual of Style, as well as creative flair
- Assist with evaluating sketches, final art, layouts, and proofs and balancing aesthetic, creative, and financial concerns while collaborating with design and production colleagues
- Assist with editing Spanish/bilingual titles with the eventual goal of editing all titles and managing day-to-day operations of the program with oversight by the executive editor
- Assist with writing flap copy and other selling copy for books
- Research and secure permissions for rights-managed text and art
- Review text, sketches, and art for accuracy and consistency
- Conduct market research and post-publication analysis
- Perform a variety of administrative functions to support the editorial department
- Excellent organization and time management
- Attention to detail
- Collaborative spirit
- Creative thinking and problem solving
- Strong sense of prioritization
- Ability to work autonomously
- Well-honed communication
- Ability to learn online platforms
- Microsoft Office proficiency
Our ideal candidate holds a bachelor’s degree, has prior knowledge of children’s books, has Spanish language skills, performs efficiently under pressure, thrives in a fast-paced environment, and enjoys working as part of a team.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume in one PDF doc with subject line “Executive Editor EA” to email@example.com. No phone calls or snail mail, please.